Effective April 1 2022, family physicians who provide prenatal care will be able to bill a Maternity Care Risk Assessment Fee (14002), whether or not they provide labour and delivery care
How is it billed?
- 14002 is a $50 fee payable in addition to an in-person visit.
- Payable once per pregnancy per patient, unless care is transferred to a second provider.
What does it cover?
A Maternity Care Risk Assessment includes but is not limited to the following:
- Reviewing history.
- Screening for use of alcohol, tobacco, cannabis and other substances.
- Discussion of options for prenatal genetic screening.
Who can bill this fee?
- Community Longitudinal Family Physicians (CLFPs)
- Maternity care providers registered in a Maternity Network
- Locums covering for CLFPs or maternity care providers
Why was it created?
This fee was developed by the FPSC to recognize the additional work of conducting a maternity risk assessment based on the BC Antenatal Record and to support improved prenatal care.
For more information, please review the detailed information about this fee on the FPSC website.