Various therapeutic agents have become available in BC for the treatment and prevention of COVID-19. These include nirmatrelvir/ritonavir (Paxlovid), remdesivir (Veklury), sotrovimab (Xevudy), and tixagevimab/cilgavimab (Evusheld).
Family physicians can play an important role in providing patient care related to COVID-19 treatment, including patient assessment and prescribing of COVID-19 therapeutics. We know, however, that this work is challenging and time-intensive. In order to support physicians who are doing or wish to do this work, we are happy to announce a new fee code to support the time and complexity of the care and care coordination.
This new temporary fee item is effective for dates of service on or after July 1, 2022.
T10046 Assessment for COVID-19 therapeutics – per 15 minutes or greater portion thereof ……… $43.50
This fee is payable for patient care related to COVID-19 treatment, including patient assessment, prescribing of COVID-19 therapeutics, completion of relevant documentation and forms, and arranging for treatment. May be provided either in-person and/or by telehealth.
i) Payable to a maximum of 60 minutes (4 units) per patient/per day.
ii) Start and end times of the assessment must be entered in both the billing claim and the patient’s chart.
iii) Payable in addition to any visit or consult fee on the same day if medically required, provided the visit does not take place during a time interval that overlaps. Start and end times of the visit must be entered in the billing claim and the patient’s chart.
More information about providing assessments and prescribing COVID-19 therapeutics
A COVID-19 Antiviral Support Line for Clinicians is available to answer questions related to prescribing and dispensing of COVID-19 therapeutics:
- Phone 1-844-915-5005; Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Please be ready to provide patient information and a call-back number. A Clinical Pharmacist will respond as soon as possible to help with your question.
Pathways has links to the below clinical information from BCCDC and the Ministry of Health’s five-day treatment pack prescription form. Sign in to pathwaysbc.ca/login
- Treatment overview for Health Care Providers
- Clinical Practice Guide for the Use of Therapeutics in Mild-Moderate COVID-19
- Practice Tool #1 – Assessment Guide for Clinicians
- Practice Tool #2 – Definitions of CEV/ Immunosuppressed
- Practice Tool #3: Drug-Drug Interactions and Contraindications
- Health Care Provider Information on Paxlovid, remdesivir and sotrovimab
- Health Care Provider Information on Evusheld
- Patient handouts
For frequently asked questions about billing for patients with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 infection, visit the Billing Question Library by clicking here.