During the pandemic, we knew the transition out would be difficult in health care. But none of us could have known that the system would struggle this much.
Family doctors and patient advocates have not stopped speaking up about the crisis in family medicine.
Close to a million British Columbians, or one in five people, do not have a family doctor and cannot get one. Practicing family doctors cannot provide the care that British Columbians need and deserve. It’s time to invest in family doctors.
- Check News (Aug 10): Group calling for action on family doctor shortage holds rally at Ministry of Health
- CTV News (Aug 9): Temping doctors, orphaned patients: Turmoil continues in B.C. health-care system
- Check News (Aug 5): Eby emphasizes need for family doctor incentives, not just urgent primary care centres
- City News Everywhere (Aug 4): Talks drag on between B.C. government, doctors amid family physician shortage
- CTV News (Aug 3): B.C. premier says he may take out newspaper ad to get feds’ attention on health care
- Times Colonist (Aug 2): Central Saanich seniors without a family doctor turn to newspaper ad to get prescriptions filled
- Vancouver Sun (July 27): Critics say B.C.’s short-staffed urgent primary care centres are failing but health minister insists hiring underway
- Capital Daily (July 23): ‘Not worth the hassle’: Out-of-province doctor details bureaucratic nightmare trying to work in Vancouver Island hospital
- CTV News (July 22): This family doctor is leaving B.C. Other physicians are among her ‘orphaned’ patients
- Vancouver Sun (July 21): North Van patient dies after two days stuck in waiting room of overcrowded, understaffed hospital
- CTV News (July 19): Fewer graduates are choosing to pursue family medicine. Doctors explain why
- Fraser Valley Today (July 19): Chilliwack doctor says Ministry of Health can’t keep ignoring family physicians
- Global News (July 18): Doctors say health system has ‘collapsed’ as patient surges fuel ER closures
- Times Colonist (July 13): Group rallies outside premiers meeting for solutions to family-doctor shortage
- The Province (July 8): The doctors crisis: The problem is, family doctors can make far more doing something else
- CTV News Vancouver (July 5): B.C. doctors urge province to expand new ‘precedent’ that could improve family medicine crisis
- Vancouver is Awesome (July 5): No takers yet for $25,000 new-doctor signing bonus